Ultrasonic Materials Characterization, Nonlinear Acoustics and Air-Coupled Ultrasonic Testing
Materials Properties and Characterization
- Measurement of elastic moduli at a range of temperatures
- Characterization of microstructure and microstructural features such as grain size, shape, texture, etc.
- Measurement of ultrasonic properties (velocity, atten., FOM)
- Second Harmonic Generation (SHG) in pitch/catch and TTU.
- Measurement of nonlinearity parameter, b (absolute value).
- Calibration of piezoelectric transducers for absolute displacement measurement (contact and immersion probes)
- Nonlinear Resonance Ultrasound Spectroscopy (NRUS) for material nonlinearity assessment
- Novel applications of air-couple ultrasonics
- Detection of disbond, delam, marcels, resin starvation in composites
- Application of bulk, plate and surface modes for defect and damage detection in composite materials
Funded Research Sponsors
- Air Force, Army, NavAir, DOT
- Steel Foundries Assn
- Pratt & Whitney, Honeywell, IHI
- Materials Characterization, calibration, nonlinear,
- Computer aided Tap Tester (commercialized)