Smart Systems and Structures
- Sensing sking for monitoring strain over large areas.
- Multifunctional, self-sensing materials (e.g., smart concrete & CFRP).
Structural Health Monitoring
- Structural health monitoring systems linking data to decision.
- Algorithms for dense sensor network-based monitoring.
- Formulation of fast surrogates through injection of physical knowledge.
- Physics-enhanced real-time machine learning.
- Sub-second sensor-based decision making.
- High-rate prediction and adaptation.
- High-performance control systems.
- Intelligent control algorithms.
- Adaptive structures.
Waldo W. Wegner Professor in Civil Engineering
Funded Research Sponsors
- Federal: NSF, AFOSR, AFRL, USDoT, DoE, FAA
- State: Iowa DOT, CalTrans, Iowa Energy Center, IAWIND
- Industry: ASNT, Applied Research Associates
- Smart structures, smart systems, structural health monitoring, sensors, control
Recognitions, Awards & Patents
- Early Achievement in Research, Iowa State University, 2017.
- Early Career Engineering Faculty Research Award, Iowa State University, 2016.
- Four US patents.